Reformist Muslim

Exploring possibilities for the future of Islam and other thoughts

Name:
Location: London, United Kingdom

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

The Blog Is Back!

Sorry for not updating the blog recently. Unfortunately I've been rather busy, but I'm happy to say that I should be posting regularly throughout winter. During my time away from the blogosphere, I have managed to read Faisal Devji's Landscapes of the Jihad.

Approaching the subject matter from a fresh perspective, Devji makes some brilliantly unique arguments. For example, he puts forward the idea that suicide bombings are best understood as 'ethical' actions, divorced from traditional political objectives and therefore have more in common with global movements such as environmentalism than traditional Islam.

It is this sort of original analysis combined with some necessary historical perspective which makes this such a fascinating book to read.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



Free Hit Counter