Reformist Muslim

Exploring possibilities for the future of Islam and other thoughts

Name:
Location: London, United Kingdom

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Science, Punditry & The Blogosphere

Liberal, secular democracies are based significantly on science and a rational way of looking at the world. Unfortunately I think that too many pundits on both left and right completely ignore the scientific method i.e. carefully gathering facts and then coming up with theories which explain test results or coming up with theories which are then subject to serious scrutiny when doing their analysis.

I worry that the blogosphere is exacerbating this as people, rather than exploring different ideas keep going back to the same blogs thereby reinforcing views which they already have instead of challenging themselves. As a result, bloggers have I think begun to write to appeal to their audience. On the other hand, mainstream newspapers despite their faults at least provide a variety of content with commentators of different political persuasion. Of course I may be wrong so if those of you who read this blog for instance feel that my comments on the blogosphere in particular are inaccurate please let me know.

P.S I'll put some quotes up by some of the great scientists on the scientific method up in a bit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



Free Hit Counter